Re: Sydney airport railway - effect on buses

>I don't know how it might affect taxis. This is not really a valid
>comparison, but the Heathrow Express has really cut into the London taxi
>business. It's 15 pounds one way from PAddington to Heathrow, compares
>with 40 pounds for a taxi.
>
>Cheers
>David

Not quite that expensive.  I travelled on it early last month.  Fares are 12
pounds one way express class (it has just gone up from 10 pounds) 22 pounds
return, but first class is 20 pounds single, 40 pounds return.  There are
other fares such as meeter and greeter and frequent flier tickets available.
Britrail passes are accepted.

I think the tube is 3.40 by comparison.  The Piccadilly line tube is around
40 -50 minutes.  It is often a pain if you have to change lines - the best
place to change if you want a district line train (for Victoria and most
other main line stations in London) is Barons Court, an above ground station
where you simply walk across the other side of the platform.

It takes just 15 minutes from Paddington to Heathrow terminals 1, 2 and 3,
an extra 5 minutes to terminal 4.  You can ride between the two airport
stations for free!  Trains run every 15 minutes, except there are a couple
of trains missing in the evening peak because of constraints imposed on
train numbers after the Ladbroke Grove accident recently.

regards

David Bennetts