Re: [NSW] CityRail crew restrictions (was Re: Airport Link OPEN!)

In <Fu714.557$gb7.6699@ozemail.com.au> "Bill McNiven" <wmcniven@gunzel.ozemail.com.au> writes:

>Curious follow-up questions from a professional passenger ...

Ok...

>1    Are there lines for which Waterfall drivers are qualified but other ETR
>drivers are not (Helensburgh? Thirroul?  further south?

Only Mortdale and Waterfall work suburban trains to Thirroul besides
Wollongong crews. We have one train in the morning (308 run empty to
Thirroul at 0452, departing Thirroul at 0535 stopping all to Waterfall, then
normal Waterfall suburban stops to Bondi) and Mortdale do all the others.

Wollongong crews work an L-set (2 car S set) to Waterfall in the afternoon,
returning south behind a fast intercity train.

>2    What happens if you're driving Penrith (station only) to Gordon when an
>incident (match finishes early, or crowd bigger than expected, congestion at
>Sydney Yard) leads to your train being transposed to run from Lidcombe to
>Flemington via Olympic Park?

We can't do it unless a pilot driver is provided, or the train is further
transposed so it doesn't run via Olympic Park since we're not qualified for
the road, and if we take the train and get into trouble, we automatically
get all the blame because we're not supposed to drive the train over a road
we're not qualified for.

>3    Are there also differences on qualifications for different train types?
>If you're rostered to take a 'G' set from Mortdale CS to Martin Place and it
>turns out to be a 'V' set, is there a problem?  Are 'C' sets a problem?

G's are the same as T's except for the addition of the toilet. C sets are no
problem, in fact I stabled one (a regular 6 car C set) in the yard here
yesterday evening when it came out of the city masquerading as 8 run
(supposed to be an 8 car S set), but a standby crew brought out an 8 car S
set to replace it just before I left Waterfall on my train (run 5B at 1943 -
a 4 car S set instead of a T set!).

V sets and G sets almost never get swapped off their rostered runs, and we
can't work V sets, so we'd have to say no once again if a G set roster had a
V set in it's place. Likewise most of the Eveleigh intercity drivers are not
qualified for S sets.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport