Re: [NSW] CityRail crew restrictions (was Re: Airport Link OPEN!)

Bill McNiven wrote:

> 1    Are there lines for which Waterfall drivers are qualified but other ETR
> drivers are not (Helensburgh? Thirroul?  further south?

Only Waterfall and Mortdale drivers are qualified for Thirroul.

> 2    What happens if you're driving Penrith (station only) to Gordon when an
> incident (match finishes early, or crowd bigger than expected, congestion at
> Sydney Yard) leads to your train being transposed to run from Lidcombe to
> Flemington via Olympic Park?

The train does not go without a qualified driver to act as pilot.  If there are
none available, then it cannot be transposed.  They tried this trick to a
Waterfall guard recently.  She was told there would be a pilot at Flemington to
take her around the loop, but none were there, so the train terminated at
Flemington and ran empty to Lidcombe to form its up service.

> 3    Are there also differences on qualifications for different train types?
> If you're rostered to take a 'G' set from Mortdale CS to Martin Place and it
> turns out to be a 'V' set, is there a problem?  Are 'C' sets a problem?

Yes.  ETR drivers are not qualified in any of the functions of a V set.  C sets
are a suburban train, so "theoretically", all ETR drivers are qualified.  I do
not know how it goes when some drivers do not see one for 10 years...

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au