Re: Sydney airport railway - effect on buses

David McLoughlin wrote:

> David Bromage wrote:
>
> > I don't know how it might affect taxis. This is not really a valid
> > comparison, but the Heathrow Express has really cut into the London taxi
> > business. It's 15 pounds one way from PAddington to Heathrow, compares
> > with 40 pounds for a taxi.
> >

> Ye gods, that £15 must be the most expensive public transport fare in
> the world. The LT bus is only about £2 for the same trip isn't it?
> What's the tube? £3?
>
> Why would anyone use the train for such a short distance for such an
> exhorbitant fare? Are cab drivers highwaymen?

I caught Heathrow Express last time I was in London, and I will do so in
the future.  Firstly it is quick, far quicker than a cab (which can cost
up to 50 quid) and about twice as fast as the tube.  The tube run from
Paddington takes about 40 minutes, HE takes 20.  The HE is also designed
for airport traffic, lugging suitcases, suit carriers, laptops etc onto
the tube is a pain in the arse.  It also only cost me 10 pound, but I
believe it has gone up since September.  It serves all terminals and
it's easy to get from the station to the check in (or from the customs
hall to the station if you are headed into London).  You can also check
in at Paddington.  I left my luggage at left luggage at Paddington,
spent the day in London with friends, checked in at Paddington after
retrieving my luggage, got on the HE, straight through customs and was
having my first beer in the Qantas Club before other friends on the same
flight (who left the centre of London around the same time and caught
the tube) had even reached Heathrow.  They said I was mad paying the
extra, until they met up with me later, when they admitted I had made
the better move.

Jackson

Jackson & Jo Harding
email:  jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au