Re: Sydney airport railway - effect on buses

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 16:56:55 +1200, David McLoughlin
<davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

>David Bromage wrote:
>
>> I don't know how it might affect taxis. This is not really a valid
>> comparison, but the Heathrow Express has really cut into the London taxi
>> business. It's 15 pounds one way from PAddington to Heathrow, compares
>> with 40 pounds for a taxi.
>>

>Ye gods, that £15 must be the most expensive public transport fare in
>the world. The LT bus is only about £2 for the same trip isn't it?
>What's the tube? £3?
>
>Why would anyone use the train for such a short distance for such an
>exhorbitant fare? Are cab drivers highwaymen?

  Having been to London in June/July I would say that it is worth it
especially on the return trip. My experiance is I caught the bus from
LHR to Victoria station (my hotel was down the road), but becuase it
took 2 hours, was hot and crammed I thought I would give the train a
burl on the way out. Thhe return bus was about £10! (The reason why I
didn't catch the train into London was because it was my first time
and I had no idea how far/how much a trip from Paddington to Victoria
would be).

  Best thing about the train (and I didn't find this out till it was
too late) is that you check your bags in at Paddington and get your
boarding passes AND you can do this any time during the day. As I
didn't know I left my bags at the luggage room at the hotel, (as my
flight was around 22:00) so I had to make a return trip to collect
them. Would have saved me some serious messing around if I had of
know. Of course because I had a one way ticket it was more expansive
than half a return, but next time I will know and chatch the train!

 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia  ajwright@nospam.ozemail.com.au
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright   Do not reply to my email. Delete word 'Spam'.