Re: Head on in the Western district

In article <wzQ%3.511$5K1.10840@newsfeeds.bigpond.com> "Hoges" <pghogan@NOSPAMbigpond.com> writes:
>From: "Hoges" <pghogan@NOSPAMbigpond.com>
>Subject: Re: Head on in the Western district
>Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:59:51 +1100

>Steven Hurst <hurste@primus.com.au> wrote in message
>svL%3.3$RL2.526@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:svL%3.3$RL2.526@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
>> For those not on Ausloco mail list, 2G's on a grain vs 2 NR's on a
>steel(?)
>> at Ararat.  One G may be writen off, and last but by no means least 2 crew
>> are seriously injured.  G's were stationary, but loop was left open, and
>> NR's came in colliding head-on.

>Incorrect on several counts. The two locos are believed to be G518 and G517.
>One was on the stationary ballast train in the siding, the other on the Up
>grain train which was supposed to stay on the main, but was switched into
>the path of the ballast.  Yuri has put up some captured frames from the TV
>coverage at his website - start with
>http://www.railpage.org.au/steam4me/images/ararat1.jpg   and then substitute
>ararat2 and ararat3 for the other images.

>Regards,

>Paul

This accident seems to have all the same circumstances as the recent incident
at Zanthus WA where the IP ran into a stationary freight in the loop when it
was supposed to take the main.
In both cases we have a very similar system of safeworking, TO in WA and ASW
(which is just fancy TO) in Vic.
Did the inquiry into the WA accident recommend that anything be done as a
result of that accident.?

MD