Re: Town of Picton

The State Rail Authority publication "How and Why of Station Names - Origin
and Meaning" gives the following information for the NSW Southern Highlands
town of Picton:

PICTON - 18.248km from Sydney, height above sea level 168.2m.
Located in section Campbelltown to Moss Vale (on Main Southern line to
Albury).
Station opened 1 July 1863.
Probably named by Governor Brisbane after Sir Thomas Picton, as both these
men had fought in the Peninsular War.
School opened as PICTON LOWER February 1868, changed to PICTON 1875.
Post Office opened as STONEQUARRY 1 January 1840, changed to PICTON 1
September 1841.

81n9v1$259$1@news.eisa.net.au">news:81n9v1$259$1@news.eisa.net.au...