Re: Vic Train Guards.

Steve Dalton <daltongang@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
81na6s$rf6$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:81na6s$rf6$1@news1.mpx.com.au...

> No Guards yet,  but who knows maybe one day.

I doubt it Steve, after all the efforts the previous Labor Govt went to to
get rid of them, I can't see them re-introducing them again, Tram Conductors
however are another question, in the peak they might well serve a usefull
purpose, where as guards on suburban trains would do little if anything to
improve the operation of the Melbourne Suburban System.

History has proved that the system operates better now without them (from a
train operations point of view. With the additional cost of employing Guards
again, where would be the advantage??

For example, if a Driver is out of position due to what ever reason the
train runs late or is cancelled, thats bad enough, but if you add an
additional crew member such as the Guard, you double the likelyhood of this
occurring and for what advantage??? We all remember the monotonous PA
anouncements at Flinders Street of old: "THE 4.12 DANDENONG HAS BEEN
CANCELLED DUE TO QUALIFIED OPERATION STAFF" This has the additional rider
now that the operating company (Hillside/Bayside) would be fined for the
late running or cancellation.

The current safeworking rules have been designed to operate without the
input of a guard, all safeworking is carried out by the Driver in
conjunction with the Train Controller if need be, if a breakdown occurrs all
oppropriate actions are carried out by radio, in the case of radio failure
or the in capacity of the Driver to communicate, "Train over time in
Section" applies and an employees is dispatched to the scene.

Bob.