Re: Rail reform.

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote and I quote
selectively:

> I beleive that the Govt , if indeed it does ever respond to any of the reports
> , will simply waffle on about how much thay have spent up till now on rail
> improvements,and that the private sector should take a much bigger role in the
> upgrading of rail infrastructure.
> Once NRC is sold , then the Feds will have very little involvement in rail at
> all,and will be conveniently able to simply ignore it.
> A lot depends on who buys NRC , and whether as is rumoured, ARTC is also
> privatised.

Spot on Maurie, I have heard some ministers and others
say what a wonderful job the government has done on
reforming rail.  They really believe their own rhetoric
that the way has been opened for the private sector to
take over completely and make it go with no more "real"
federal funding.

The efforts of the rail reform committees have and will
continue to be ignored by cabinet and just about every
one else.  If labor and the femacrats got together and
forced the issue, something might happen, but really
they are no different to the conservatives when it all
boils down, there just aint no votes in rail.

----Terry Burton