Re: Interstate oil traffic maybe a possible chance of resumption?

"Thommo" <mjthom@hdc.com.au> wrote:

> After hearing about the possible closures of the oil industries refining
> terminals at Port Stanvac in Adelaide and Clyde in Sydney and the possible
> mergers of refineries between Shell/Mobil and BP/Caltex in Victoria, has
> lead me to an interesting Question.
> Could rail, transport the refined products to the distribution terminals in
> Adelaide and Sydney if this was to eventuate??  The announcement is expected
> at the end of November. I was also curious to learn from an employee at F/V
> just recently, that the powers that be were attempting to locate all
> available tank cars in storage to be returned to Melbourne. The jumbo which
> was sitting here at Shepparton for a good 12 months left here 9.11 after a
> fitters inspection. Anybody heard anything??

Rail would stand a good chance as long as our fuel
cartel are not thinking coastal tanker.  I can think of
some "road entrepreneurs" who would mass populate the
highways down there with multiple fuel combos,
...........strike me, the thought is terrifying.

Be interesting to see where the Mereenie crude oil from
up here in Alice Springs would wind up, the extra
freight costs to haul this on to Melbourne could/might
make this marginal, although the rising world crude
prices would be helpful.  shish-shing-$$$$

Slight deviation, anybody know if Australia's largest
rail tankers, the massive CR/ANR TOG 12wheel bogie,
later AN ATGY survived.?  ......Chris D might know.!
AN put them through the shops back in 1983-84 for the
Mereenie oil traffic, but their total mass fully loaded
kept them off high speed freights.

----Terry Burton