Re: Rail reform.

In article <383bb493.1324204@news.zipworld.com.au> ahonan@zipworld.com.au (Andrew Honan) writes:
>From: ahonan@zipworld.com.au (Andrew Honan)
>Subject: Re: Rail reform.
>Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:54:55 GMT

>Maurie,
>Thanks for this...
>I wonder what is happening with the Govt.'s response to all the
>enquiries on rail reform?
>I suppose the tax for East Timor will protect any Government spending.
>It just depends if there is going to be any real govt spending on rail
>infrastructure?
>Andrew Honan
>
>On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:55:10 GMT, mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie
>Daly) wrote:

>>For those of you interested in where we are up to in the progress towards Rail
>>Reform , a number of useful documents are available from DOTs Web Site.
>>http://www.dotrs.gov.au/atc/railcode/index.htm
>>
>>You will need a PDF reader to read these.
>>
>>MD

Andrew , from reading all the submissions to the PC relating to rail
reform,its almost certain that the PC will recommend exactly what Neville &
Smorgon recommended, that a heap of money must be spent on rail.
Unfortunately, this is exactly what the Govt doesnt want to hear.
East Timor, Tax cuts next year, introducing the GST, getting cooperation from
State Govts re ARTC , in short, rail reform will be a long way down the list
of Govt priorities.
I beleive that the Govt , if indeed it does ever respond to any of the reports
, will simply waffle on about how much thay have spent up till now on rail
improvements,and that the private sector should take a much bigger role in the
upgrading of rail infrastructure.
Once NRC is sold , then the Feds will have very little involvement in rail at
all,and will be conveniently able to simply ignore it.
A lot depends on who buys NRC , and whether as is rumoured, ARTC is also
privatised.

MD