Re: [Sydney - heavy rail] Pedestrian tunnel under Railway Square

Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote in message
383DBC2D.B49E8C@primus.com.au">news:383DBC2D.B49E8C@primus.com.au...

> being a little silly , Ill comment without knowing the full story here. If
I am to understand correctly it is intimated
> that a live steam movement would occur to move  the loco from the museum
via this tunnel to  the outside world!!

> Well, firstly, whilst it would be truly fascinating for the public  to
witness at close hand such an event...how musc
> space are we talking about in the tunnel...how far can the loco be from
the public.

> Tram and Bourke street , loco in tunnel..same ..i dont think so. What
working parts are under pressure  on a tram??
> Is Bourke street a confined area (well on A christmas shopping day maybe)
> A movement of a loco in todays environs and understanding of public risks
would be akin to negligence...we have come a
> long ways from the 1800's.

I don't believe that this is the case. Certainly if the loco was under
steam, you would not be able to have pedestrians there, mainly due to the
smoke and steam.

But you could certainly have a diesel loco hauling it at 5km/h without any
dramas, as long as it was suitably escorted to ensure that the public do not
get too close to it.

> Maybe a rail tractor powerd type movement, of a dead loco would be
palatable. and I presume we arealy are talking about
> moving a dead loco!!

I would imagine so. The steam and smoke will make the air unbreathable for a
while.

> After all this I would think a movement , out of hours, closed to the
public would be the most common sense approach

Nah - over-reaction.

> But , Ill stand waiting to be corrected, Ill admit I amunaware of the full
picture!!  just some comments worry me
> Never take safety for granted, what is acceptable risk for the
public...its far removed from the acceptable risks
> endured by those, trained and knowledgable in these matters.
> If kids have any proximity to this, make it out of hours!!

No different to kids at Central Station now, who can walk off the ramps at
the ends of the platforms and across the tracks. It would take a while
before they were seen (such is the quantity of staff there these days).

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au