Re: nettiqutte, thy mistress cruel [was : a whole lotta stuff]

Eccles@ThisNameIsRubbish.co.nz wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:19:46 +1100, "Derick Wuen"
> <cullend@webone.com.au> wrote:

> >What the *&^%$ is an "RFC"? And where do I get 'em?

> Request For Comment.

To elaborate, a Request For Comment is a document, constructed by the
IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) which describes some aspect
(technical or otherwise) of the broader structure of the internet. Such
things as protocols, standards and whatnot are defined in this way.

> Check out

> http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/information/rfc.html

Or, if you're within Australia (and especially on AARNet, the academic
internet backbone), they're also available at
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/rfc.

ObRailway: I've had a few trips now on the new QR 220 series SMU's, and
they're simply grouse, mate. They certainly have a smoother ride than
the 200 series, with none of the lateral lurching, or the occasional
overhead hiccups. They also have a different sound - I assume because
they have a different AC traction control system to the 200's. 220's
have a wonderful, eerie Forbidden-Planet kind of rising and falling
whine as the synchronous frequency shifts. The schoolkids reckon they
sound like busses, due to the "shifting gears" noise they make. And of
course, there's no roar of the transformer cooling fan, because there is
none.

Top class beasts.

--
Robert Kearey                   Remote Access Group
ITS                             University of Queensland