Re: Red W set running again Nov 21 (Sutherland)

trendy rechauffé wrote in message ...
>Sutherland Council has hired CityRail's 4 car W set for the centenary of
the
>opening of the Sutherland to Cronulla line.
This was a useful posting, thanks!

The train was C3702, T4714, T4801, C3708 running as Set W3.  This is one of
two heritage trains retained by the State Rail Authority, and has been
repainted by the supporters group Historic Electric Traction.

The timetable was a fine work of fiction, based apparently on a belief that
the Sutherland - Cronulla line is double track (it isn't between
Sutherland - Gymea and between Caringbah - Cronulla!) with signalling that
allows regular trains to run one minute behind specials.  The timetable also
assumed that a shuttle service with 15' trips and 5' turnarounds can be run
reliably.

Set W3 left Sydney with around 200 passengers about 15 minutes late after a
delay to cut out two motors on C3702.  Suitable electric traction sound
effects followed the stops at Como and Jannali (in drizzle on a 1 in 40
grade) and the train reached Cronulla around 20' late at 1115.

Here it was discovered that the timetable was unworkable.  The 1100
departure was forgotten, and the 1140 altered to 1200.  This trip had to run
as C3708 was reserved for Sutherland Shire and other sponsors.

The return trip ran well to Kirrawee, where the two remaining motors on
C3702 were cut out.  After Caringbah, it ran non-stop to Sutherland.  The
return trip (down hill) to Cronulla was to make all stops.

I had planned to photograph following trips, but given the intermittent
rain, gave up!

RED RATTLERS

I know this n.g. has done "gunzel" to death, but what about "Red Rattlers"?

I first struck this term in the Melbourne "Herald" in the mid-1960's, used
to distinguish Tait (and maybe the last few swing-door) trains from "modern"
Harris trains.

I don't think I ever heard it used in Sydney before about 1978 ... if the
term had been in use, it would have become "blue rattlers" with the 1974
Shirley colour scheme.  I think it crept into Sydney journalese (and
ministerialese) only after the time of the Granville derailment, when it
became fashionable to blame all railway shortcomings on the previous
government and to promise an all double-deck fleet.

Any more suggestions?This was a useful posting, thanks!

[...]

Rgds

Bill

Rgds

Bill