Re: Improvements on NE SG

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 23:37:56 GMT, mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie
Daly) wrote:

>Had a look at some of the new lengthened SG loops ,Glenrowan & Chiltern last
>nite.
>The most striking thing about the new loops is the new ultra brite led
>signals at the down ends.
>The old searchlights have been removed and replaced with two pos color lite
>signals capable of showing R/R or G/R for the No 1 road and the reverse for
>the No 2 road ie , R/R or R/G.
>Interestingly also the home arrival searchlights have also been removed and
>replaced with similar types to the new departure sigs , except that the upper
>head has 3 lenses, which is a bit odd, given that historically these signals
>only ever displayed red or green for the upper head.
>Is Y/R now a valid aspect ?
>Also coming thru Wodonga , noticed that Wodonga Box appeared to be switched
>out,(didnt know this could be done.) and the the sigs on SG were green on the
>down all the way from benalla Loop right thru Albury till the new loop at
>gerogery.
>This is a bit odd, given that I was about 30 mins ahead of ST2 the next train.
>Normally the sigs thru Albury are only cleared a few mins before trains
>arrive.
>Could be part of the new control regime from Adelaide.
>
>MD
Maurie you missed the renewal of dog spikes to positive locking spring
clips from Tottenham to Somerton and from Broadford to Albury .
Rumor has it that when the PTC surfaced the track (tamper) that a
quite a few of the dog spikes fell out of the rotten sleepers and
lodged under the foot of the rail causing the rail to fracture and
also cause rough riding .

Regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)