Re: emergency door releasing on Tangara's, etc.

In <r5q93scg79a1b3830e4it7kgpuo8pmb3hg@4ax.com> Derek Woodlands <kingpin1@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>'Twas a dark and stormy night on 18 Nov 1999 22:26:12 +1100 as
>craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick) took time out from the neverending quest to
>rid the world of grues and wrote:
>
>> Tangara trains have no emergency door releasing features. They were all
>> removed from in-services T-set cars around the time that the G-set cars
>> started being produced, and the remainder of the T-set cars had them not
>> fitted during construction.
>
>I thought door releases on Tangaras were fitted outside the car below the door?

One sets of doors on each side of each car has an external release button,
but there's nothing inside except the guard's door control panel, but that
needs a key to open it. So in a derailment, assuming the transverse doors
between cars get jammed or otherwise broken, and assuming the power and air
supply to the door system is not interupted, there is still no way for
passengers to get out.

The time will come when there is an accident and a car or two of a Tangara
develops an internal fire. Unless prompt action is taken to evacuate
passengers, with little or no ventilation (which is the best way to stop the
fire as well as stop the passengers) any passengers trapped inside have a
couple of minutes to live before the toxic fumes from the burning
fibreglass, seat coverings, etc. takes effect.

Note I did not put a '8-)' after that - because I am very seriously stating
that, despite CityRail managements best efforts are glossing over the issue
by ignoring it, the Tangara's are a serious fire hazard.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport