Re: [Melb] POTS (Position of Trains System)

Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote in message
38338095.64AB4757@primus.com.au">news:38338095.64AB4757@primus.com.au...

> Dave
>
> At last somene has got the jist!!  Seeems I was out on my understanding of
GPS accuracy..i was going by reports on the
> Taxi industry as well as reports on other users employing the system. the
informed descrriptions have been very
> interesting. They would still in my mind offer a way  of separating the
ability of tracking the trains from the
> "established" methods..it would eliminate another "item" needing to be
installed..i.e little yellow transponders. Part
> of my point is that it would then become possible , without human
intersction to pinpoint (or least to within "X"
> metres) where any train is...not where someone thinks it is.

Having said that though, AND not being too aware of how the POTS will work
(will it be the transponder talking to the train and the train then telling
the system where it is or will it be the train talking to the transponder
and the transponder telling the system that train XYZ just passed over it) a
GPS failure on a train would be enough to fail the train. The failure of a
POTS transponder would not be catastrophic - they would merely lose that
train for the time it takes to get to the next transponder. They would have
to make it so that there were double systems in place at critical locations.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au