Re: [Melb] POTS (Position of Trains System)

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
80tmph$qfk$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:80tmph$qfk$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...
> : > > For the short time anything is in the loop some other form of plug
in
> : > > technology...something simple could be used...its a bit harder to
> : > > vandalise in the loop.
> : >
> : > I'm not sure if it's me, but I can't understand what you are saying
here.
> : > No location systems are really need to be used in Melbourne's loop,
trains
> : > go in and come out the other end - simple.  And yes, "short term"
tactics
> : > are being used to keep track of trains, manually writing them down.
>
> : I think what he is commenting on is the fact that GPS won't work
> : underground (or indoors for that matter).  I am surprised to hear that
> : it isn't working on the sparks.  Given that it works reasonably well
> : with taxis and other fleet vehicles it should work for trains.
>
> Why do you need GPS for the loop, you can sit at Metrol and know where
> the trains are right out to the finge boxes (ie Newport, Sunshine,
Kensington,
> Upfield, Epping, Heidelberg, Burnley, Caulfield (which goes all the way to
> Moorabbin), and Sandringham) that is 1/2 the system.  All you need to know
> is the train consist matched with the T.R. number.  This will be made easy
> with POTS. (Not paper, pen and a computer)

But the point was that GPS fitted to the train will eliminate the need for
ground based transponders around the system - transponders that are
vandal-accessible.

POTS would certainly have a place within the loop though.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au