Re: [Melb] POTS (Position of Trains System)

: > > For the short time anything is in the loop some other form of plug in
: > > technology...something simple could be used...its a bit harder to
: > > vandalise in the loop.
: >
: > I'm not sure if it's me, but I can't understand what you are saying here.
: > No location systems are really need to be used in Melbourne's loop, trains
: > go in and come out the other end - simple.  And yes, "short term" tactics
: > are being used to keep track of trains, manually writing them down.

: I think what he is commenting on is the fact that GPS won't work
: underground (or indoors for that matter).  I am surprised to hear that
: it isn't working on the sparks.  Given that it works reasonably well
: with taxis and other fleet vehicles it should work for trains.

Why do you need GPS for the loop, you can sit at Metrol and know where
the trains are right out to the finge boxes (ie Newport, Sunshine, Kensington,
Upfield, Epping, Heidelberg, Burnley, Caulfield (which goes all the way to
Moorabbin), and Sandringham) that is 1/2 the system.  All you need to know
is the train consist matched with the T.R. number.  This will be made easy
with POTS. (Not paper, pen and a computer)

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

e-mail: cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au