Re: Steam Loco design questions

Ben O'Regan <ben@NOSPAMFORemiratespark.com.au> wrote in message
38322115@news.hunterlink.net.au">news:38322115@news.hunterlink.net.au...

> What's hammer blow?
>
> And while I'm at it, what is the purpose of the dish-like mouldings at the
> outer end of the buffer beams on 38 & 60 class (possibly also the 59s as
> well, can't remember off the top of my head right now). Was it something
> do with the buffer beams being cast?
>
> I've looked through what reference sources I have and can't seem to find
it
> on any other class, especially the older ones (pre war time).

Hammer blow is the force applied to the rail by an unbalanced wheel. It is
not a constant force and damages the track.
The mouldings on the buffer beam are a US thing used for shunting wagons on
an adjacent track. A pole is used with one end in the hole on the buffer
beam, the other end is used to push the wagon. I don't think this type of
shunting was allowed in NSW.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton