Re: Swanston Street

> >Princes Bridge should probably be narrowed to two lanes, and the tram
> >tracks moved over to the western edge to provide a better transfer to
> >the train at FS.
>
> Not certain of this.  There is a lot of (road) traffic along St Kilda
> Road, which now heads left or right into Flinders Street.  Where do
> you expect this to go?

Assuming this is citybound traffic (if not, it shouldn't be trying to
cross the yarra in the heart of the CBD), it can do one of three
things, in approximate order of preference from my viewpoint!

a) It can fuck off onto a train instead of driving right into the
centre of Melbourne (sorry, theres rarely an excuse to do that!)

b)It can enter the city via Kings Way instead of using Princes Bridge

c) For those two cars a day that have to use this particular route,
there would still be a lane each way widening to two lanes at the
intercection (one to turn each way).

Of course you'd do this in the context of a massive PT upgrade so that
people have no excuse for driving into the CBD except in very limited
circumstances.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.