Re: Swanston Street

Does this speed limit apply to
> trams???

I don't think it does, but the trams don't get much over 30 anyway.

> As for the tram passenger safety concerns, maybe they should just
extend the
> curb out to meet the trams at tram stops?

Which is inconsistent with reopening the road so I assume you want it
closed as I do.

Swanston St doesn't need cars, it needs better enforcement of speed
limits for those cars that are allowed in for good reasons, which
doesn't include cabs and doesn't include buses. They also need to
restrict it so that only those vehicles that absolutely have to be
there are allowed in, and then only by the most convenient entry point
from a pedestrian/tram traveller point of view. Under no circumstances
should any vehicle (except a tram, or an ambulance or fire truck with
lights and sirens) drive along swanston st from north to south.

Princes Bridge should probably be narrowed to two lanes, and the tram
tracks moved over to the western edge to provide a better transfer to
the train at FS.

I'd also remove the traffic lights at the "little streets" and instead
have a stop sign and zebra crossing on the little street so cars always
give way to trams and pedestrians. Trams should never have to stop at
the little streets.

Bourke & Swanston could probably do without traffic lights too (give
way to trams on right or something - any tram drivers on this list?
would it work?)

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.