Re: Albert Park to Football Park

[Posted and mailed]

Greg Huggett wrote:

> A number of years ago the line from Albert Park in adelaide to the
> Phillips factory at Hendon was pulled up. In hindsight this would have
> been the perfect extension to Footy Park, am I right thinking this and
> what would be the feasability of redoing the line
>
> From an interested novice
> Greg

I don't know how much you have seen of the route, but much of the right
of way at the Albert Park end was used for an upgraded West Lakes
Boulevard Road.

The section of West Lakes Boulevard immediately east of Tapleys Hill
Road is wide enough to accommodate at least a single track, but the land
not used by roadways has some quite mature trees now.

So, there aren't too many buildings in the way, only roads and roadside
vegetation.

A line to where Football Park is now located was shown on some 1960's
plans for the development of what is now West Lakes. If such a line was
to actually be built now, there would need to be doubling of the track
between Woodville and Albert Park to prevent some of the delays that
have plagued some of the operation of the Grange/Outer Harbour lines.