Re: Country(link?) - try walking instead

Switched On <yaropolk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
IZMT3.214$ky4.6016@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:IZMT3.214$ky4.6016@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...

> Chris Stratton <stratton.chris.cp@nospam.bhp.com.au> wrote in message
> 7vo2fe$8407@atbhp.corpmel.bhp.com.au">news:7vo2fe$8407@atbhp.corpmel.bhp.com.au...
> > Switched On <yaropolk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > eYLT3.194$ky4.5522@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:eYLT3.194$ky4.5522@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> > >

> > > Which brings me to the other problem... why have that stupid
> Murwillumbah
> > > service which people from Brisbane have to connect via coach with? The
> > > coaches are _ALWAYS_ booked out and half the Brisbane passengers have
> > > wait for the daylight service.  Murwillumbah is a tiny insignificant
dot
> > > compared to Brisbane, so where is the market? Why not connect to
> >
> > The market is those other insignificant places like Tweed Heads,
> > Coolangatta, and Surfers Paradise. Before the Gold Coast Railway (and
> maybe
> > still) it was easier get the bus to Murwillumbah rather than to
Brisbane.

> Did you know that it takes only 45 mins to get to Surfers from Brisbane by
> coach or rail/bus? Do you know how long it takes to get to Surfers from
> Murwillumbah? It's not much faster, let me tell you. If necessary, QR
could
> stop the Gold Coast train at one of the better stations on the Beenleigh
> line (like Yeerongpilly),  where it runs parallel with the XPT and
> passengers could swap without ever having to get into Roma St and stuff
> around with crowds. QR is quite flexible with this sort of arrangement,
but
> CountryLink lacks the entrepreneurial spirit to be able to make it so.
>
> Honestly, how many people who can afford to stay in Surfer's Paradise
would
> catch the XPT from Sydney? They can catch a plane to Coolangatta for the
> same price and arrive in much better shape for their holiday!

But it is still a long way by bus from Surfers to Coolangatta. Most of the
pensioners that travel on the XPT would probably stay at Coolangatta anyway
as it is cheaper. My mother-in-law ( not a pensioner yet) stayed at
Coolangatta last month and went by XPT to Murwillumbah and then bus to
Coolangatta.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton