Re: Country(link?) - try walking instead

Having followed this thread with interest I think I can safely say that the only
reason Country Link gets away with such appalling service is that it is mainly
passengered by concession fare paying passengers who may whinge about the
service whilst on the train but do not follow up the complaint. On the Nth Coast
service most of the dole recipients are too stoned out of their mind to remember
to complain. The majority of passengers in first class are pensioners who have
paid the supplement to travel first class on a concession. The occasional full
fare paying first class traveler is probably a rail fan who doesn't mind the
service, or if a normal traveler is so appalled he/she never tries the service
again. As I said in an earlier posting, these type of clients vote with their
feet and go by air.

My view is that Country Link has no idea of its market. The only service they
are really competing with is the buses. If that is their competition then really
compete with them. Get rid of first class and the sleepers, convert them to
economy and if necessary push the seats a bit closer to fit more passengers. Get
rid of the buffet and replace it with vending machines and only charge $25 to
Brisbane. Less crew, less overheads and probable profit. I am convinced by a
number of postings that the service cannot be improved due to the primitive
state of the track on the North Coast.

Cheers
Rod Gayford