Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

In article <7vo3tj$jpg$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> writes:
>From: "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com>
>Subject: Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin
>Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:38:59 +1100

>Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
>mauried.458.381F8748@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.458.381F8748@commslab.gov.au...

>> One obvious question that no one seems to have asked is exactly what is
>the
>> passenger rail requirement for trains to Darwin?
>> Darwin is a very small city , 1/3 the size of Canberra which only rates 3
>> explorers a day, of 2 - 3 cars each.
>> Whilst there is a high demand for passengers to Alice Springs because of
>the
>> tourism potential , is the same true for Darwin.
>> Ive only been to darwin once in my life , and have no wish to ever go back
>> there, simply too hot.

>I agree about Darwin being undesirable. As for the passenger potential, it
>is a jump off point for Kakadu, and could be used as the base point for
>land-based tours to Alice Springs, calling through Kakadu, Katherine, etc.

>A possibility could be train to Darwin, 5 day tour to Alice Springs, train
>back to Adelaide (and vice versa).

>--
>DaveProctor
>thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au

The other more interesting issue that has to be raised is exactly where and
who will pay for the passenger station to serve Darwin.
According to the Austral-Asia Railway Act , the private owner of the line is
not required to build a passenger station , merely to build a line to the Port
of Darwin.
Obviously some one will have to build and pay for the station and it will have
to be located some where along the line.
I beleive originally that AN intended the station to be quite a distance out
of Darwin.

MD