Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

> One obvious question that no one seems to have asked is exactly what is the
> passenger rail requirement for trains to Darwin?
> Darwin is a very small city , 1/3 the size of Canberra which only rates 3
> explorers a day, of 2 - 3 cars each.
> Whilst there is a high demand for passengers to Alice Springs because of the
> tourism potential , is the same true for Darwin.
> Ive only been to darwin once in my life , and have no wish to ever go back
> there, simply too hot.
>
> MD

As an ex-Darwin boy I might be biased but there is a variety of reasons
why there is a reasonable expectation for significant traffic, enough to
support one or two trains a week.  Firstly there is a big demand for
tourism in the Top End.  While you might have found Darwin hot, at many
times of the year Alice Springs is hotter, often considerably so.
Temperatures in Darwin seldom get above 35°, while in the Alice they can
be at least 10° more at times.  It's the humidity in Darwin that is
oppressive, that's a real problem during the southern summer, or up
north, the Wet.  The Dry is far more pleasant and tourism is big on the
agenda.  There are a large number of backpackers from Europe and the US
who would be favourably inclined to train travel, particularly those
from Europe.

During the Wet road travel, including buses, are often left stranded by
floods.  If the line is built so as not to be affected by the floods
then there is also the opportunity to take custom away from the bus
lines.

Next, Darwin has a significant transient population and many of them are
from what can only be described as lower socio economic groupings.
Train travel may be more attractive to them than air, which is often the
only other way out of Darwin if it is priced right.

Finally the elderly mega wealthy will always pay top dollar for a
relaxed "adventure" which this last great rail journey will offer.

Cheers,
	Jackson

Vote "Yes" on Nov 6

Jackson & Jo Harding