Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.458.381F8748@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.458.381F8748@commslab.gov.au...

> One obvious question that no one seems to have asked is exactly what is
the
> passenger rail requirement for trains to Darwin?
> Darwin is a very small city , 1/3 the size of Canberra which only rates 3
> explorers a day, of 2 - 3 cars each.
> Whilst there is a high demand for passengers to Alice Springs because of
the
> tourism potential , is the same true for Darwin.
> Ive only been to darwin once in my life , and have no wish to ever go back
> there, simply too hot.

I agree about Darwin being undesirable. As for the passenger potential, it
is a jump off point for Kakadu, and could be used as the base point for
land-based tours to Alice Springs, calling through Kakadu, Katherine, etc.

A possibility could be train to Darwin, 5 day tour to Alice Springs, train
back to Adelaide (and vice versa).

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au