Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

> >service through to Darwin on completion of the line.
> >----Terry Burton
>Question: what gauge will be used in the railway: narrow (1067mm common
>in Australia ?) or European (1435mm) ? I don't know which gauge the
>ADL-ASP line has and assume ASP-DRW will continue at the same gauge.
>
>I assume it will be single track without catenary. Is this true ?
>
>thanks, rick
Have a look at the following:

map with lines and gauges(both common and uncommon).
Alice Springs is the dot at the end of the line in the Northern
Territory.Darwin is at the top(north) of the Northern Territory.
http://www.ara.net.au/common/rail-map-lge.jpg

table with all the details, includ.'what is bg,sg,ng'
http://www.ara.net.au/sections/media_info/yearbook_stats/RailNt-lge.jpg

only FreightCorp(NSW) and Queensland Rail have elctric locos
http://www.ara.net.au/sections/media_info/yearbook_stats/Loco-lge.jpg

also, probably not enough room for catenary when double stacking
http://www.nationalrail.com.au/Media/Archive-Reports/Ph_Archive/old_imgs/tail.jpg

from NR webpage: .."It is currently only possible to double stack within
the area bounded by Adelaide, Parkes in western NSW, Perth and Alice
Springs.."