Re: New St. Leonards Station

In <374C8A03.92694566@ozemail.com.au> Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>Still not sure what is happening at Chatswood. Still a lot of fighting over
>whether the new plaforms should be under ground or above ground. I would
>favour the above ground option as the former Platform 1 is just sitting
>there unused and a new plaform could be built on the down side where the
>park is. The surfacing arrangements would also probably depend on how the
>new line will cross the Lane Cove River either with Bridge or Tunnel.

The easy solution for Chatswood is to do a Gordon with it (but modify the
track arrangement from how it's done at Gordon) so there are no new
platforms required, and the old platform 1 can be utilised again. This would
save soooooo much money. 8-)

>Would be good if they quadrupled the Waverton - St.Leonards section. Trains could
>the run direct to North Sydney where they could terminate and go back to the
>north. A new tunnel at Waverton would be required to do this, so I doubt we would
>see happen.

Well, the land is definitely there to do this since it was acquired during
Bradfield's great work on the city railway was progressing in the early part
of this century, but there's still a *lot* of civil work required, the most
expensive piece of which would be new tunneling after Waverton station, and
construction of new bridges between there and St Leonards, plus at Artarmon.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport