Re: New St. Leonards Station

Bill Bolton wrote:

> "David Bennetts" <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote:
>
> > Can't quite answer your question, but am I right in assuming that the new St
> > Leonards station will be where (most) trains from the new Parramatta
> > Chatswood line terminate.
>
> The platform arrangement do not seem to suggest it is intended as
> terminating location, though it's probably a bit early to say until
> the track "surfacing" arrangements North of Chatswood become clear.

Still not sure what is happening at Chatswood. Still a lot of fighting over
whether the new plaforms should be under ground or above ground. I would favour
the above ground option as the former Platform 1 is just sitting there unused and
a new plaform could be built on the down side where the park is. The surfacing
arrangements would also probably depend on how the new line will cross the Lane
Cove River either with Bridge or Tunnel.

> > There will obviously have to be some overbridge and underbridge
> > augmentation, but this work would be relatively minor.  Chatswood will need
> > two additional platforms (probably the one now out of use will be
> > re-instated), though I think Artarmon will possibly get by with its existing
> > station, the additional lines will probably by-pass the platform.
>
> If you are suggesting that the new lines will lie outside the existing
> Shore, that would not be compatible with terminating trains at St
> Leonards, as they'd have to cross over the Shore on the level when
> reversing direction.  There's not really enough room to do a
> flyover/under between Artarmon and St Leonards due to the location of
> various cross streets/freeways etc.

Would be good if they quadrupled the Waverton - St.Leonards section. Trains could
the run direct to North Sydney where they could terminate and go back to the
north. A new tunnel at Waverton would be required to do this, so I doubt we would
see happen.

Thanks,

Jon