re: looking on with responsibility

Goulburn (NSW) railway photographer and author of 40 years, Leon Oberg, has
asked me to place the following on Newsgroups in answer to Barry Wilding,
Manager Operating Practices, Australian Southern Railroad's comments re
"closure of coupling cocks on 5AM3.
His piece is as follows...

Something does not ring true with Barry Wilding, Manager Operating
Practices, Australian Southern Railroad's comments (22 May, 1999, re
'looking-on with responsibility'). It is a re-emerging case of blatant
railway administration enthusiast bashing - this time with sinister
overtones and threats of trespass etc?
There is so much doubt in Mr Wilding's piece, particularly when he says
"witnesses may have seen" etc. Add this too his big stick threats of..."some
railfans have already found out that ASR does not tolerate persons
trespassing," etc etc.
What proof does he have that rail fans were indeed on hand to witness said
tap closing incident on 5AM3? Of more concern to thinking rail enthusiasts
is Mr Walding's guarded (I believe garbled) attempts at suggesting - even
remotely - that a trespassing rail fan actually interfered with the train in
question. If he believes this to be the case he would have to have evidence
so why not lay charges for the many railfans that I circulate with would not
want these alleged types of vandals part of the railfan fraternity either.
However, I believe far too many people in railway administration today like
to lump instances of theft, stone throwing, dangerous behaviour, skylarking
and a host of other ills on railfans. They forget others trespass on railway
lines too - vandals, people drugged, drunk, taking short cuts, graffitists -
to instance but a few.
In all of my 40 years experience rail fanning in many states of Australia -
including South Australia, I have seen miniscule evidence of dangerous
illegal activity by rail enthusiasts (apart from trespass for the purpose of
gaining photographs and history notes).
Talk of totally isolating railfans from trains and charging people for
trespass who might be innocently photographing them majestically roaring
by - or enjoying their hobby - are totally over the top and possibly
illustrate the stresses private companies are under as they attempt to run
their trains in a deregulated marketplace.  Historically, if it had not been
for many railfans who at least have given some voice in a political climate
structured to support road lobbies, there would have been fewer railways in
this nation for privateers to purchase and certainly much less business to
be done.
Instead of going out charging rail fans for trespass, Mr Walding and like
minded rail administrators should encompass and support all of the friends
they can. In the days of Government-owned rail systems, a tremendous
camaraderie existed between many rail fans and administrators, often from
the Chief Executive or Commissioners down. The administrators and the police
for that matter, were usually realistic enough to instantly understand the
difference between vandals and rail fans, graffiti artists to 'harmless
special interest' trespassers.
I do symphathise with ASR and Mr Walding's quite genuine concerns with the
circumstances surrounding 5AM3 on May 20 and detest those alleged actions.
But I abhor the connotations that even remotely suggest the railfans that I
know who roam the nation in thirst of those terrific photographs or history
ditties that get published on a frequent basis, might be responsible for
said incident - even as a witness. ASR might care to remember that one day
it might want to use some of that material gathered by some very expert rail
photographers and historians (rather than import people from the USA at
great expense). Guess what - given too much heat - the material might be
denied them.

Footnote: If 5AM3 was interfered with at the south end of Mile End loop,
correct me if I am wrong but doesn't this come under the jurisdiction of
Australian Track Access Corporation and NOT one of the few properties
actually owned by ASR?  LO