Re: Overhead Walkways at Suburban Stations in Sydney

Security is a big issue, much harder to "lurk" in overhead ramps/stairs and
station buildings.

Other reasons that come to mind:

Pedestrian bridges would appear to be cheaper than tunnelling.  Also allows
more flexibility in design.

Tunnelling is usually quite disruptive to services.  Certainly more
disruption would be caused than a single possession to position overhead
bridge spans.

Avoids all the issues that go with poor drainage and stormwater pumping.

Last but not least, you can see where your train is rather than just
"believing" the signs.

Regards

Chris