Re: VR Staff & Ticket and Pilot Working

markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

>I don't know about other systems but there was never any provision for
>additional pilotmen in Victoria that I'm aware of. That would be a sure recipe
>for disaster as it would be akin to having two staffs for the same section out
>at the same time.

There were provisions in some rules for CHANGE of pilotman, say at the
end of a shift, though.  I recall that these imposed requirements at
changeover time, for the new man to accompany the old man on his last
trip, for signatures to be exchanged at both ends of the section, for
the change-over to be formally announced to the signalman or
stationmaster, for some handing-over ceremony of the armband, and for
the old man to make himself scarce and on no account to go home by
train on the section affected?

Geoff Lambert