VR Staff & Ticket and Pilot Working

Another splendid lunch, a fine bottle of wine, and an interesting
discussion on Train Staff and Ticket as it applied in Victoria.

We believe there are provisions in the Rules for a Pilotman to be used
in the event a staff is lost or damaged.  Makes sense, and is easy to
understand, as the pilotman basically replaces the staff - although
the thought of quite how he would unlock staff locked sidings leaves the
eyes watering :-)

However, what happens in the situation where the pilotman is introduced
to replace a long section staff, which is then needed to be split into
two (or more) short sections.  The most likely scenario we could think
of was that the pilotman would appoint others to act as pilot-people for
the other short sections.  However, at the end of the bottle of wine,
the suggestion was made that perhaps the pilotman, following the letter
of the rules in that he *is* the staff, stands in front of the staff box
whilst the short section staves are in use.  Could be a little boring.

Is our originial premise, that additional pilotmen be appointed, the
correct one?

Cheers...JD
--

John Dennis