Re: Interesting VLP stuff

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It was interesting two note two things today out and about in Melbourne.
>
> Firstly, the 4:23 down Melton ex. Spencer Street was a single FSH set with
> two P class locos (P11, P17) in push/pull config. Isn't this a bit of an
> overkill? I've only ever seen 6 car and 8 car sets in push/pull config with
> two locos. Anyone know why this was the case?

For fast turnaround at Melton acc special timetable. With only the main
line and a loop, and an intensive service, there probably isn't time to
run around.

This sort of push-pull arrangement is not unknown. In its final years,
the morning up Leongatha pass was often T-FSH-P, but the P was often
only providing hep.

> Secondly, a loco allocated to Frieght Victoria was (P22) was seen at
> Spencer Street platform 8 at about 7:15pm on another 6 car push/pull set.
> With this, why couldn't they have allocated one of the P's from the 4 car
> to that set and not need to 'borrow' a loco from FV?

FV locos turn up on passenger trains all the time.

During the 6 week shutdown of Melton - Warrenheip you'll probably see a
lot of strange workings.

Cheers
David