Re: Old Ghan Cars

< Tell > <telljb@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
375ad9d8.3651881@news.ozemail.com.au">news:375ad9d8.3651881@news.ozemail.com.au...

> No doubt, but that needs to be put in context.
> The cars that PRPS have, were not airconditioned and
> were replaced during 1959-1961 with the ex standard
> gauge air con cars, wooden bodied and the Wegmanns.
> (I have traveled the Ghan since 1961)
>
> Very few of the old cars listed below were used on the
> narrow gauge Ghan from 1961 up until 1980 when the
> Standard Gauge to Alice Springs was open.
> It is unfortunate that history can be easily distorted
> by people being told that the train they are riding in
> was the "last true representation" of the "old Ghan".
>
> ....Terry Burton
> Alice Springs NT
>

> >Peter Homann <phomann@camtech.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > Pichi Richi Railway has the largest collection of narrow gauge "Ghan"
> > cars.
> > Taken from our working timetable, here is the list of narrow gauge ex-CR
> > cars in our collection:
> > NAR73 Sleeping
Available for normal use until converted to breakdown car in 1971
> > NBR74 Sleeping
Available for use until bogie damaged in accident at Anna Creek in 1980
> > NARP25 (Now NABPa25) Sitting
> > NARP26 (Now NABPa26) Sitting
> > NARP27 (Now NABPa27) Sitting
These three were regularly used on mixed trains until at least 1971 and
possibly later
> > ND35 Dining
To breakdown dinner in 1972
> > NIA36 Inspection
Gnerally available - used on last Ghan for crew
> > NRCA47 Sleeping
 To Alice Springs breakdown train 1966
> > NSS34 Special Service
Generally available for service - made avaiable to PRR in 1979 by AN
> > NEA51 Employees
Not written off until 1978
> > NEB33 Inspection
was still in use on CAR in 1976
> > NHR30 Relay
I have it recorded as being off rails ar Marree in 1976
> > NHRB55 Relay
Written off 1978
> > NHRB56 Relay
Written off 1978
> > NP31 Pay
Written off 1973
> > NYAB15 Brake
This one was the Hawker line brake (I think)

So you might not have travelled in them but they were around and most were
in regular service on the chaser and mixed services. Many people travelled
on these as the Ghan only opreated once every two weeks. I'm farely sure
that the NBR car was a regular car on various non-air conditioned services.
The other thing to remember is that the PRR cars actually represent the
original Commonwealth Railways Ghan. The other cars are really the
Trans-Australian service cast offs.