Re: Old Ghan Cars

"Chris Drymalik" <drymalik@arcom.com.au> wrote:

> So you might not have travelled in them but they were around and most were
> in regular service on the chaser and mixed services. Many people travelled

I am aware of that, but the chaser and slow mixed
services were NOT the Ghan.  It was possible to buy a
ticket on the goods services and travel in some of the
original stock almost till the end of the NG CAR.

> on these as the Ghan only opreated once every two weeks. I'm farely sure

Every two weeks.?  .......steam era, I take it.

> that the NBR car was a regular car on various non-air conditioned services.
> The other thing to remember is that the PRR cars actually represent the
> original Commonwealth Railways Ghan. The other cars are really the

[soapbox mode on}
I never said that the old stock that PR have were not
representative of the old Ghan, of course they are,
UP UNTIL 1960.  The original poster forgot to mention
this just like Pichi Richi do, hence my post.!
[soapbox mode off}

> Trans-Australian service cast offs.

What does this mean.  The last 20 years of the narrow
gauge Ghan do not count because the CR used ex standard
gauge cars.?  Sheesh.

I have a number of photo's with the genuine original
wooden non airconditioned NARP cars on the Ghan after
it became all airconditioned, they were NOT for normal
fare paying passengers, when I eventually select a
decent scanner I will post them and many others on to
the Net.

----Terry Burton
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>