Re: guard/driver training (was: "Olympic Sprint Platform - Lidcombe")

In <37402E1F.9BD50F53@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>> Also to consider: with only one staff member on a train, what happens if an attack is
>> attempted, as many attacks to guards have been mentioned on this ng and in the media

>Basically, if they get rid of guards, it will only be in their current capacity.  I still think
>they will be on the train, but not doing their current job.  They will become ticket collectors
>and general passenger attendants.  This way, if the driver has a problem, he could call on the
>guard for assistance.  Most drivers would lock the doors and close the windows and ignore any
>idiots trying to have a go at them.

However, if the guards will have no safeworking accreditation then they are
no use to us in any incident where safeworking functions are involved. I
think this is one of the main beefs David, and I'm sure that since you're a
guard you can understand what it's going to be like if the driver is the
only person in a train that's safeworking-qualified in any sort of
more-than-minor incident, esp. in fatalities, etc. since the guard will not
be able to leave the train without accreditation for safeworking.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport