Re: guard/driver training (was: "Olympic Sprint Platform - Lidcombe")

In <926689322.109105@woody.hotkey.net.au> "Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au> writes:

>Hmmm...true to a point, do you really need a guard for those two carriage
>things?
>Or the four carriage ones?
>Or even the six carriage ones (VIC trains have six carriages and are driver
>only)?

But they are still *single* deck, therefore they can carry far less people
than our trains can. Everyone is forgetting our trains have peak crush
into a 6-car single deck set. 8-)

>This would appear to eliminate some of your argument based on train length.

Read my comment above, and you'll see why there's a fundamental flaw in what
you've just said.

>>Platforms are longer and curved

>Victoria has curved platforms too, it's all done with mirrors. Or in extreme
>cases, VDUs in front of the driver at the platform (although I don't believe
>as they are that they could be at all regarded as highly effective except
>for long sighted squinting train drivers, perhaps someone who drives a spark
>in Victoria would care to comment?)

With 8 car trains, and curved platforms you'll need between two to five
cameras in some cases.

DOO is quite possible, but there are operational issues which are
Sydney-specific and unless you are a driver or guard here you don't really
understand how apparent these issues are.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport