Re: Broad gauge or standard gauge

Stephen Devenish wrote:

This is correct...  Trans Adeliade will announce the winner of a tender to
install some 20,000 (I think) gauge convertable concrete sleepers on the
line that heads up to the harbour area (I will advise the exact location
when I dig it up)  The sleepers use the new Pandrol Fast Clip set up with
the standard wine glass convertable shoulder for broad gauge or Standard
gauge.  John Holland has tendered for the job of installing the sleepers
and they are gauge convertable so that if Trans Adelaide wants to convert
the line to running TRAMS yes this is correct TRAMS they can with little
trouble.  All this was announced at the Rail Track convention in Melbourne
last week, a paper was given on the process by the Project Manager for the
concrete sleeper installation.

Cheers

Stephen Devenish
John Holland Rail Division

Barry Campbell <barryC@qimr.edu.au> wrote in article
<373A4E29.157C94DC@qimr.edu.au>...
> In the ARHS Bulletin for May 1999 there was a report that
> TransAdelaide(?) Adelaidrans(?) whatever has been relaying various bits
> of track with gauge convertible concrete sleepers. Do they know
> something I don't know?
>

> Barry Campbell

The sleepers are going in the Adelaide - Woodville section.

Derek Scrafton, when he was Director of Transport, has stated that only 2 Adelaide Rail lines warrant heavy rail - Gawler and Noarlunga Centre - the others, Outer Harbor, Grange, Belair and Tonsley were much better suited to light rail.

I would suggest that Belair is particularly ideal for light rail provided it had significant double track sections (forget about taking back the ARTC SG main) or considerably more loops.

Grange would follow, as would Tonsley which line could be extended through Science Park to Darlington (making a detour around the Police Complex built immediately in its path), or down Sturt Road to Marion Shops.

Were the Grange line to be converted to light rail then you might as well do the Outer Harbor line as well.

If the SG freight line crosses the Port River somewhere around the grain silos as is one plan being floated in the Transport department then there would be no clash of light and heavy rail on the Outer Harbor line.

One way of connecting the Outer Harbor line to the city is to cross the north line in the parklands were the two line diverge, come along War Memorial Drive, accross the Morphet St. Bridge into Currie Street the King William St. to the tram terminus in Victoria Square to make an end-on junction with the Glenelg line.

The Belair tram could join the Glenelg tram at Goodwood.

Food for thought ....

Cheers
Neil