Re: R711 Sat 15/5/99

On 16 May 1999 06:49:11 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote,
and I selectively quote:

>This brings up an interesting point. Where does WallyRail fit into the
>FV/privatised V/Line pass situation? Will WCR have to pay FV for all costs
>involved in maintaining the track above 80KPH or will privatised V/Line pass.
>want their service back?

Mark, Mark, Mark...... let's try again <sigh>.

All country public transport in Victoria is operated on a monopoly
franchise system where train and bus operators bid for specific routes
every five (?) years, with a few tilts in the level playing field to
suit the government's political agenda (eg VLP was not permitted to
tender for Ararat - Melbourne or Leongatha - Melbourne as the gov
wanted to close the lines).  The successful tenderer (bus or train) is
then assured of a monopoly on that route for the term of the contract.
VLP cannot run wherever it wants to, neither can WCR or anyone else,
bus or train.  The only time competition occurs for a given route is
when the contract comes up for review every five (?) years.

The tenders are assessed on how much it's going to cost the government
in subsidies; these subsidies are calculated so as to provide a profit
incentive to the successful franchisee if they can lift passenger
numbers; I believe the subsidy actually reduces once they achieve a
measured lift in performance (at that point at which extra passengers
are close to pure profit for the tenderer).

You seem to have an obsession with WCR (including name calling, yet
you get upset if someone in another thread writes "Melboring" <g!>).

May I quote you?

>Why devalue your argument by this schoolkid sort of name calling?
>Can't you make your case without resorting to name calling
>that simply makes you look foolish?

 I don't see the same level of abuse being directed to Hoy's who run
the Melbourne - Shepparton rail service under the identical subsidies
that WCR does.   VLP, WCR, Hoy's (who also run lots of buses) and
every bus company run under the same rules, so there is simply no
point in continually targetting WCR.

The Government will pay FV a maintenance subsidy for every passenger
train that runs on FV track, whether that train is operated by VLP,
WCR, Hoy's, National Express or whoever.

At least WCR puts its profit back into improving and diversifying rail
travel.  How will Victoria's rail scene be improved if say WCR loses
the rail franchise to buses?

Another point:  when's the last time Hoy's put some of their rail
generated profit back into *any* rail related items (carriages, locos,
etc.)?

Regards

Yuri
--