Re: Parkes triangle was Railway Digest April 1999

Roy Marshall wrote:

> > Motor points at the west end would be fine considering that considerable train
> > movements would run in both directions i.e. to Parkes or direct to Cootamundra. The
> > ground frame at the south end is also logical (cost saving I guess) considering that
> > the majority of train movements would be from Cootamundra to Goobang Jcn, even the
> > grain. The occasional move into Parkes from the south would need the attendance of the
> > signalman or shunter.
> >
> > David.
>
> What about all the wheat movements to and from the Parkes Subterminal?
> All of these trains would still need to use the southern leg of the
> triangle as very few run via the mountains.

Are you referring to grain from the south to Parkes sub-terminal? Does that not already head
for Port Kembla or Sydney via Coota. Grain from north or west to Parkes is catered for by
the motor points. There maybe is nothing to stop the hand operated points at the south end
of the triangle from being left reverse for Parkes direction if there is nothing on the
other leg for some time.

David.