Re: City Rail Guards

In <19990514015810.19942.00000385@ng-ft1.aol.com> markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) writes:

>Why does all of this defence by Sydney spark guards remind me of Vic guards,
>first freight, then spark of a few years ago?

>I well recall the same statements, "it might be allright to get rid of guards
>at XYZ but no way could they do it here" I even remember Vic spark guards
>saying, cant do it in Melbourne, "wrong side platforms, curved platforms"

>Well sorry to tell our Sydney comrades but they did it in Melbourne, (actually
>the spark drivers I talk to say the system runs better now without them) and
>they will do it in Sydney.

We don't doubt that it will happen, but as I've said many times already (and
I will keep saying) there are operational issues which are specific to
Sydney (apart from curved platforms, etc.) that create unique problems to
for introducing DOO on our suburban and interurban trains.

>BTW, please explain why you always bring up Sydney's curved platforms. Last
>time I was in Sydney the sparks didn't have rear view mirrors meaning the
>driver can't see back anyhow. If you have a curved platform where only the
>guard can see half the platform who looks out for the other half?

The guard does. 8-) On 6 and 8 car suburban sets the guard travels in the
middle, and he has to look both ways several times before closing the doors
and giving the driver the right-away bell signal. This is why there are so
many problems with people, etc. getting stuck in our train doors. However
this reduces delays at stations since it's a lot easier to look along half a
platform at a time than a whole one.

The interurbans always have the guard at the back, but they don't have the
same level of passenger loading so the problems the suburban trains would
have with guards at the back don't exist. If suburbans had the guards
travelling at the back on 6 and 8 car sets the delays would be extreme since
at stations like Town Hall you simply *cannot* see along a whole platform at
4.30 pm when it's lined with passengers standing 4+ rows deep and people are
running off every escalator and set of stairs to get on your train.

This is why Central station has staff acting extra lookout people with flags
to assist the guards in peak times.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport