Re: The Federal Budget - Rail forgotten?? by its own Industry??

My impression of One Nation is that it was more to do with job creation
programmes.
(There was a high level of unemployment at that time?)
It did have specific deliverables such as increased  length passing loops,
Increased axle loads, bridge strengthening, and lifting of speed
restrictions (I'm thinking of the North Coast NSW) but still rail freight
share on this corridor is loosing out to road (in a very bad way).

Maybe the investment was just a one off without follow-up investment (and
thus withered), maybe it was wasted because it didn't resolve the commercial
operating and logistical issues of rail transport?

AH
Tell >) writes:
>>From: telljb@ozemail.com.au (< Tell >)
>>Subject: Re: The Federal Budget -  Rail forgotten??  by its own Industry??
>>Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 03:26:54 GMT
>
>>"Peter Ruxton" <rucko@bigpond.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>What was one Nation in the early 90s it was Fedral Funding
>

>>It was a ONCE ONLY funding, it was all tied in with
>>Keatings One Nation policy based on the Hillmer report
>>which saw such an upheaval in the Power, Communications
>>and Rail area's.
>
>>----Terry Burton
>
>Its also worth considering exactly what did "One Nation" actually achieve,
ie
>what can rail do now that it couldnt do prior to one Nation .
>Not much really .
>Whllst we can now run STD guage trains from Melb to Adelaide instead of BG
>trains , we are still running the same trains , with the exception of the
Ghan