Re: The Federal Budget - Rail forgotten?? by its own Industry??

In article <373a21cb@nap-ns1> "Grahame Ferguson" <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> writes:
>From: "Grahame Ferguson" <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au>
>Subject: Re: The Federal Budget -  Rail forgotten??  by its own Industry??
>Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:03:47 +1000

>Rail did not rate a mention in the Financial Review, or the Herald-Sun, nor
>on the electronic media.
>Despite the Commonwealth not having constitutional powers over Railways, the
>Commonwealth can give money to who ever it likes.

Of course it can , but it doesnt .
The Commonwealth funds projects & programs for which it has a legislated
responsibility.
The Railways in Qld,Vic,NSW and WA are the sole responsibilites
of the variousState Govts,their owners who receive funds annually from the
Commonwealth according to a formula determined by the Grants Commission.
The fact that the State Govts choose to spend not a cent of this money on
their Railways is not the fault of the Commonwealth Govt.

The general argument advanced as to why the Commonwealth should fund Railways
is because it funds roads ,and its unfair to fund one form of the transport
sector and not the other.

Going back as far as the previous Labor Govt under Transport Minister Peter
Morris,the feds have sought on at least three occassions to develop an
agreement with the States to enter into a similar funding arrangement for the
National Rail Network as they do for the National Highways.
The only condition that the Feds required was the same condition that they
required for the Road Industry,ie uniform rules & regulations across the State
Railway systems.
Every attempt to develop an agreement with the States has failed .

The sole problem with railways in Australia is the fact that they are State
owned ,and whilst this condition continues to exist , there will be no
federal funding.

MD