Re: Safeworking the safe way

MarkBau1 wrote:

> You sure? Signal diagram 59/98 (dated 19/11/98) still shows the track all the
> way from Upfield to Somerton as being in place. According to the diagram the
> mainline is now enclosed by the Upfield security compound. Signal UFD509 is a
> home signal with low speed for the security compound tracks. I doubt the would
> put a home signal there if the mainline was closed.

That signal was first put in when the North Melbourne - Flemington Bridge section
was closed for freeway works. It protects the station from arriving trains and I
presume that it has been left because the line has not actually been closed and
may even reopen for freight traffic judging by other news.

David