Re: gunzel?

The transfer from the USA film to Victorian railfanning came from the
nature of the hired gunslingers: slow of speech and dimwitted.  The
relatively more-intelligent boss referred to his hick underlings as
'gunsels'.

A third possible origin was mooted when I researched this a few years back:
Gunz photo shop in Sydney, frequented by potential recipients of the
description.  I discounted this theory.

I am still sure that the term was applied to Victorian *railway*
enthusiasts long before it was applied to *tramway* ones.  AFAIK it has
never been derogatory in the tramway context.

Derick's summary has missed the original use of the word in Victoria.  It
was far more directed at the character than at the activity.  A gunsel and
a non gunsel could do the same things: one was ok; the other wasn't.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith

Derick Wuen <cullend@webone.com.au> wrote in article