Re: gunzel?

In article <373237D1.DAA92C17@cdi.com.au>, John Cleverdon <johnc@cdi.com.au>
writes...

>Tony Gatt wrote:

>> > I have only ever read one definition of the word, some years ago now.
>> > IIRC, only men can be gunzels (hint, hint...), and it involves a certain type of
>> > man that I (and I assume others on this ng as well) am definitely *not*.

	fwiw, a scholarly dictionary of US (prison/underworld) slang,
	dating ca 1930, defines it as being struggled with above.  With no
	reference to the gunslinger derivation.

>> I cannot believe what you are suggesting!

>> That makes you particularly ignorant when it comes to the hobby I am afraid.
>>..

>Sorry!!!
>I am very definitely NOT implying anything towards anyone on this ng (or elsewhere),
>it's just that this is the *only* definition I can recall seeing (it was in a
>dictionary of Australian slang).
>
>I admit that I am probably a gunzel myself - sometimes hanging around MFT with a large
>pair of binoculars, to read loco numbers (1254 seen to date).

	As it's a 'slang' word, usage defines it, by defnition...

thanks
dave pierson                        |the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Compaq Computer Corporation         |the opinions, my own.
334 South St                        |
Shrewsbury, Mass USA                 pierson@gone.enet.dec.com
"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles
"....the net of a million lies...."	Vernor Vinge