Re: More Freight Photos.

Derick Wuen wrote in message <372e0b09.0@iridium.webone.com.au>...
>newbie to group.... don't understand the problem with alt.binaries, I can
>access quite easily from home machine and my ISP.

But not everyone can - some people have crappy news servers, and rely on
DejaNews - DejaNews do not carry binaries.

Also, some people may only access newsgroups 2 or 3 times per week. Some
news servers expire messages every 24 hours (or even more frequently) - they
are unable to access binaries that have already expired.

Other news servers (OzEmails is a case in point, although it was with the
old news server - not sure if the new server will do the same) do not pick
up all parts of the binary - a 9 part binariy is useless if you do not have
parts 3 and 6.

Aganist all of this, it is a VERY easy matter to go to XOOM, Geocities,
wherever, and post it there - you can use their stats to see how many people
have visitted, and it stays there for as long as you want. When you use up
all of the space, you can open another account.

>Is problem gateway software on employer machines or poor service from ISP?
>Answers would seem to be get a home machine / change ISP.

Not an option for some people - some are committed to long term plans,
others only have one or two ISP's in their area (who all get their newsfeed
from the one place, so both are unreliable), others are restricted because
of cost. Anyway, if there is a choice of two places to place a photo, and
one of those is accessible to EVERYONE with net access, and the other is
only available to some, why choose the less accessible?

>Seems to me that alt.binaries offer archival service (websites accumulate
>alt.binaries postings) which provide a very useful service after the
>postings have lost some currency.

Totally untrue - whilst some servers do not expire binaries posts, plenty of
others do. And there is no way that posting it to a webiste will see it
expire.

>If original postings were scattered around many websites, how could the
>archival function be performed?

How can it be performed now, since propogation is so erratic, as is the
question of message expiry? But you fail to address the matter of those who
cannot change ISP's, and are faced with crappy news servers.

>Also I enjoy trawling through a picture-only NG.

So your enjoyment takes precedence over the enjoyment of others?

>I suggest an alt.binaries.rail.aus NG, so we don't have to trawl through
412
>websites, each with their own idosyncratic idea of good graphic design and
>user friendly navigation.

And I suggest that those of us who cannot access a decent news server tell
you where to go (in the nicest possible way!) <g>

DaveP

=========

Known spammers/idiots list - spambots, please take note, and do your stuff!

ahill26876@aol.com , sales@aitnet.net , Joe1orbit@aol.com , pjm@syd.net.au ,
babymash@manawatu.gen.nz , rshutt@netspace.net.au